Monday, December 27, 2010

Postulate: A group's collective IQ is only as high as its lowest member...

SO. I'm sure by now that you've all seen the video "everything amazing and nobody's happy". (If not, take a moment and click that link.) Just a commentary on that.

You know what is incredibly frightening? Mob mentality. Thinking as a group, acting as a group. It's like the collective IQ of a group is only as high as it's lowest iq'd member. It's incredible - people do things in groups that they would never do by themselves. It's like the whole idea of consequences goes out the window. When it's a "we", people feel more comfortably acting stupid, racist, violent, sexist, ignorant, or any combination of the above.

ANYWAY - getting back to my point - I noticed how you have to very consciously decide not to participate in whatever group attitude is prevalent. I was hurrying through the airport this morning, annoyed at everyone and everything, when I realized - I have nothing to hurry for. (As evidenced by my current state of partial dress in my apartment...) I have no reason to find that clueless foreigner annoying. They're just trying to figure things out. And all those short women who walk slow? Join arms and create a barricade! Why not?


I guess I'm just musing about the fact that we never actually have to feel pissed off, hurried, annoyed, or any of those negative emotions. Choose to enjoy the experience.

That is, after all, what life is all about right? Learning to be happy even when things aren't perfect?

P.S. I just have to say, though, that I find short people who complain about airplane seats REALLY obnoxious. Really? You think you're uncomfortable? Try growing 8 inches and then tell me how you feel.

VS.

No comments:

Post a Comment