Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just so you know....

So.

Getting over it.

People find such satisfaction in passive agressively telling someone to "get over it". Most of the time, that phrase follows trivial stories of passing disappointments, mild irritations, or minute disagreements. However, sometimes, in the more extreme cases, people refuse to see the gravity of certain situations.

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean you can dismiss it.

Now, I need to make a distinction. It's not that we want to wallow in the experience, growing soggy and pruny from its murky, dull pain or momentary excstasy. It's more wanting to feel everything, experience it all before giving it up. Like an otter pop. Sucking the life essence out of the flavored ice until only the frigid exoskeleton remains. Pushing the emotions all the way from my heart and brain, through my fingertips and toes.

Now, this make take longer for some than others. So here's what it is; don't tell me to get over it. To just move on. Let me feel it all the way through. And if you don't understand, then that is your problem and not mine. Have you ever considered that maybe some people just feel deeper than others? Because that is, indeed, the case.

Now. Just to let you know of a social experiment I am now performing, this is the gist:

I don't need to apologize to you unless I meant to cause you harm. If my statements offended you and I didn't mean it, then that is more your problem then mine. Realize that not everything is about you and not everything is a direct attack on your person, and then maybe you'll get what I mean.

3 comments:

  1. "Let me feel it all the way through." I like this sentence a lot. It's kind of off-topic but I was talking with Tyler yesterday about how we're always expected to choose happiness and sometimes I just want to be damn mad or sad. Just let me feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the spirit of not having to apologize unless you meant harm I have also always tried to take any comments made to me in the least offensive way possible, that way I can always spot a true insult. Needless to say it has to go both ways.

    ReplyDelete