Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Count

Here's the current count:

Days it has snowed so far: 2
Times I have cried because I was cold: 1
Types of warm beverages purchased: 5 (4 kinds of herbal tea and hot chocolate)
Percent of leaves that have fallen off their mother tree: 65

Level of happiness: 5. Of 6. Higher than it's been in a long time.

Life is good. I have figured things out. I feel healthier than I have in a very looooong time.

Things I have realized change about my needs in winter:
1) I need to cry. On a regular basis. Just because

2) Carbs. I need them. Eggos are amazing. So are homemade baked goods.

3) Sleep. In the summertime, I need very little sleep. When light is scarce and the temperature lowers, I have my own version of hibernation. I just eat a whole bunch of food and sleep for about 12 hours. I function optimally when running on 9 hours of sleep. I function on a basic level at 7. Below that and you are looking for angry, frustrated, emotional, or in any other way unpleasant.

4) Hobbies. Winter forces me inside, so I remember that I play the accordion, and that I like to sew and write. And bake.

SO. This begs the question: What, if anything, does a change in the seasons mean for you? What random needs do you get as the days shorten (or lengthen)?

4 comments:

  1. tanning, lots of movies, and cuddling

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, accordian hero? seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  3. pajamas, movies, hot cocoa, cider, blankets, fireplaces, snuggles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. im going to go dog sledding and take an ice sculpture class. and i will be studying the monks and their ways so that i can conquer winter with my mind.
    otherwise my winter plan would be:
    wish to die or move somewhere warmer

    ReplyDelete