Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Top 5! And bottom 5. And a few videos!

As I expressed in one of last week's posts, I love lists. I make lists for EVERYTHING. I make lists for grocery shopping. I make lists for things I want to get done. I make lists for fun things to do afterwards. I make lists of movies I like and want to watch again. My life is filled with sticky notes in assorted colors, both digital and real, telling me what to do and what to watch and what to eat.



So tonight, another list. A list of the little things.

I find that people, and places, and things, are in the little things. The way the light comes over the shower curtain in the outdoor shower at summer camp. The inexplicable giant machine screw that sat, untouched, in my work parking lot for MONTHS until I gave it a home. It's these tiny peculiarities in people that make you smile unexpectedly - because only she ties her scarf that way, wraps her hair in a ponytail with that particular hand movement, wraps the cheese that way before she puts it in the fridge.

So here is a list: My top 5 little things that make me happy.

And my top five little things that toast my cookies.

Since I want to end on a positive note, let's start with the bad things.

5) Thank you cards. They're a nice gesture. I get it. But they're SUCH A WASTE of time, money, and paper. Just text me. Send me an email. Or don't thank me at all. Whatever. But don't give me a pretty card that I feel obligated to keep for like 3 months, on an awkward windowsill, knocking it over all the time.

 4) When you're trying to jaywalk, and someone slows down and makes you make your move before you're ready. You know - you've just run to the center divider, and now this guy in an X-Terra just STOPS. I'm like "Hey BUDDY. Keep it going. I got this." For some reason, I find this extremely irritating. Just keep moving. I can take care of myself.

3) When movie theater toilets don't flush themselves. I consider myself pretty self aware, and I can see all the non-problems that we create for ourselves in a first world life. But for some reason, my knee jerk reaction to non-automatic toilet  seats in the cinema make me roll my eyes. Like, "get it together, guys." I ALWAYS catch myself and laugh, but for some reason - it ruins my life for about 1.5 seconds.

2) When dogs make eye contact when they're going to the bathroom. I know you're pooping. Why are you trying to bond with me in this moment?


1) Urine sample cups. They are so CLEARLY designed for male anatomy, and COMPLETELY incompatible with female anatomy. Thank you, patriarchy, for making me pee all over my hand.


And now, for my top 5:

5) High quality receipt paper. Our local cinema has amazing receipt paper. Sometimes, during the movie, I stroke my receipt with my thumb. For a long time. It is glossy and thick. Don't judge me.

4) Free refills. I will never get over free refills.

3) Birds running. Something about it bring joy to my heart. Just seeing these majestic, flying creatures, running on their stupid, tiny legs. It makes my day.

2) Free samples. Even if I don't like it. Even if it's the worst thing ever. I love free samples. That toxic energy drink? Sure, I'll try a free sample! That TERRIBLE biscotti that tastes like almonds crawled inside a cup of tea and rotted? Why not!

1) Sonic Ice. For the americans reading this, you know what I mean - that soft, perfect-every-time ice that comes in Sonic beverages. It is the stuff of dreams. Canada is seriously lacking in epic ice.

And there it is!

So tell me - what are the little things that make or break your day?

3 comments:

  1. I also love when birds run.
    And your lists posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel invigorated when I'm outside and the weather is perfect and the wind blows. It can't be cold! If it blows right at the right temperature then man I love wind!!! Also rainbows. Every time I see one it's like I'm four screaming "guys look at that rainbow!" I hate when drivers have to slow down to almost a stop when they make a right turn, come on buddy keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha nice! I like those things too. I become like a toddler when the sprinklers are on.

    ReplyDelete