Monday, May 9, 2011

Being a woman.....

So. My friend Jodi just recently posted a blog titled "What do you like about being a woman?"

And it got me thinking.

She made some excellent points in it. And I don't think there's a woman alive who hasn't felt that way at some point.

I guess what I have to say is this: there has GOT to be more to this whole being a girl thing than I understand. Because what I hear and what I see seem to contradict one another and frustrate me.

Just a few points:

1) We're told that, as women, we are precious and dear to God. Why then did He make us weak enough that we can be abused and taken advantage of so easily?

2) Heaven help you if you're an intelligent, ambitious, attractive woman. Because after you work your way to the top, at least one person will wonder if you slept your way there.

3) Since when is it a bad thing to be confident and good at things? But there are so many men that get emasculated when they figure out I'm smarter than them. Or better than them at something. I'm sorry that my skill set threatens your manhood.

4) The idea of being "too much woman". Contradiction in terms anyone? I don't mean lots of love handles, either.

I don't know if those ideas are even connected. I guess the best way to put it is this:

Only a weak man needs a submissive woman. 
I wish I believed what this poster is telling me. But so much seems to be telling me otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you made a good point in #1. And then I thought about the other people in this world who are created physically weak and therefore taken advantage of often. Children, the disabled, the elderly. All of these people are reverenced and God pretty much slams his hand on anyone that messes with them.
    I think maybe our bodies were created this way so that men would HAVE to treat us carefully in the physical sense, and that if they didn't, it would show and they would have no case at the judgement day.
    I'm kind of rambling this off, so I don't know if it makes 100% sense, but what I'm saying is, it seems like God gave his most special spirits the weakest bodies so that those around them would be forced to handle them with care.

    ReplyDelete