Monday, January 24, 2011

Hey mountain.... I walked on your FACE! (Part 1)

So I took a trip to visit my friend Stooph this weekend.

We deicided that it would be a good idea to hike Angel's Landing, In Zions National Park.

So we make the drive out there, where we stop at this AMAZING little cafe called the Red Coyote.

I ate eggs benedict with sweet chilles and the richest cup of hot cocoa in the world.

After breakfast, we continued on, until we came to the entrance to Zion's National Park. At the booth, a nice man helped us. My friend Stooph asked him "Is the Grand Canyon a National Park?" Ok. Just a tip for the booth guy? When 3 clueless girls ask a question like that, you should probably tell them to choose a different hike when they follow it up with "is angel's landing open?" Just for next time.

So we start the hike. It was so beautiful! It had red soil and was really green, and was surprisingly warm for January.

As we progressed, we took lots of pictures.

Then, we got to Walter's Wiggles. It is an area of very steep switchback, which at this time of year was completely covered in ice. One of the switchbacks was so steep I had to crawl up on my hands and knees.







At this point I was thinking "no wonder people die here. They probably do stupid things on Walter's Wiggles.

WRONG.

So we get to this misleading sign that claims that Angel's landing was .5 miles away. LONGEST .5 MILES OF MY LIFE.

This is what it looked like

Oh, and this.

What about this?

So by the time I got to this

I was so distracted I had to sit down and enjoy it. I couldn't look at anyone for too long either because the distance of the background made me nauseous.

Moral of the story?

Angel's Landing is majestic, but not for the faint of heart.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I felt the same way when I did it last year... I'm glad I did it once. But I will not ever be doing that chain part at the end again! I don't know why more people don't die there every year. One misstep and you're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks awesome! and scary. i need to get down there and try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I was getting a little scared just looking at those. I'm glad that you didn't DIE. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete