Sunday, February 6, 2011

Shimmy those coins!

So this weekend I got the chance to immerse myself in a kind of dance that has fascinated me for some time.

Middle eastern, that is.

Friday night found me at a middle eastern dance concert. Local dancers (both the egyptian soloist style and the group dances) took the stage, all decked out in coin bras, coin scarves, and colorful costumes. Almost all of the women had at least some meat on their bones, and some more than others....
This makes awesome sounds when you shimmy
Even the overweight ones wear stuff like this!
I tell you. Near eastern dancers know where it's at.

On saturday, I got to take a dance from Cassandra, a middle eastern dance expert.

We did a 2 hour workshop studying the moroccan Sheikhatt style of dancing - which ended up being SO MUCH FUN!




The best part? She needed to dress someone up to show us what they usually wear. Guess who she picked? Oh yeah. ME!




1 comment:

  1. ok i want to see a picture of you all dressed up. this sounds awesome btw.

    ReplyDelete