Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Moving Backwards

Let me tell you a little story.

When I was 17, I graduated high school.

When I was barely 21, I learned my second language.

When I was barely 22, I learned my third.

By my 25th birthday, I had traveled to: Czech Republic, Italy, Armenia, Mexico, Thailand, and all sorts of small western towns.

I have had a job or occupation since I was 16 years old. With almost no breaks.

I'm moving backwards, people.

I now live in a place called the Sunshine Coast (seriously. It's a real place.), and I sleep as late as I want. I help out around the house, but basically am an unemployed sloth of a human.

And you know what? I'm happy. I always thought some external form of validation is what has kept me sane. People thinking I'm good at something, finishing tasks, etc. And I do plenty of that here (Dishwasher? LOADED!) Turns out, I just need to feel free to be happy. Before, that consisted of supporting myself so I could do the things I wanted. Now, it means doing 2 hours of yard work and thinking "I'm such a hard worker" and then going sailing. Or golfing. Or swimming.

Yeah. My life is really, really hard.

Also, I will post sailing pictures soon.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I always want to see your pictures! And I'm glad you are so happy. I feel pretty accomplished when I load the dishwasher too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a child-less version of a stay-at-home mom. Why do you think all of us love staying out home with our babies? Half the time it feels like we're on vacation!

    ReplyDelete